Developing and scaling up processes for the production of sustainable chemicals, fuels and materials from biogenic raw/waste materials or CO2
Faced with increasingly stringent environmental regulations, international competition and the introduction of new legislation, the chemical industry has little option but to continuously improve its production processes. The Sustainable Chemistry business area provides solutions for ways of doing business that are not only economic but also more ecological. Our prime objective is to develop synthesis processes that are highly efficient – in terms of both energy and resources – and based on renewable raw materials, biogenic waste materials or carbon dioxide, coupled with intelligent solutions for work up the resulting products.
Fraunhofer IGB is active in the development of:
- Pretreatment and fractionation processes for raw materials
- Industrial biotechnology processes for selectively converting materials by means of enzymatic or fermentation processes
- Chemocatalytic, electrochemical and electrobiological processes and their combination with biotechnological processes
- Power-to-X processes for the utilization of regenerative produced redox equivalents in synthesis processes
- Customized thin films and functionalized surfaces
Fraunhofer IGB is helping to drive the transformation of the process industry, especially in the chemicals sector, and contributes to all four segments of the bioeconomy: food, animal feed, sustainable chemical products and bioenergy (see the Environment business area).